Virtual Senior Awards Night

Maryssa Rodriguez, News Editor

In the final stretch of seniors’ high school career, Senior Awards Night is held to recognize seniors’ accomplishments and to award scholarships. Although this year’s ceremony will be different, due to the global pandemic, Venice’s  Class of 2020 will still be recognized and awarded for what they have worked hard for the past four years.  

This year’s senior awards ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 28th from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. via Instagram live. The live event will take place on Instagram @VeniceSeniorAwards and will be hosted by class of 2020 sponsor Mr. Cristobal Vicente, along with guest presenters.

The Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) Scholarships will be awarding $500 scholarships. The Venice High School Alumni Association Scholarship (VHSAAS) will be awarded to 37 seniors. The California Scholarship Life Member Award will be given to 67 students. One hundred and nine seniors will receive Gold Tassels for having a cumulative GPA of 3.6 or above. Ninety-seven Silver Tassels will be awarded to the seniors that have a cumulative GPA between 3.0 and 3.5. Students receiving the Los Angeles Unified School District and California State Biliteracy Awards, as well the Tri M music awards will be recognized.

Last year the Venice High Alumni Association awarded $130,000. This year they will be awarding $137,000 to Venice seniors.

In past years, seniors had to attend the event in order to receive their awards.

We do hope that all recipients will be watching live to hear their names called, but we will not require it this year as a condition of receiving their awards.” stated Mr. Vicente in an email. “The names of the winners will be posted in the Senior Section (of the school website) on Friday May 29th, in case anyone missed out on the Instagram Feed.”

“This is a new experience for the students and families, just as much as it will be for the presenters, so we hope that it goes well, and continues to provide the excitement of the yearly award show, with the thought that we are very proud of the students who keep on pushing, regardless of circumstances, and persevere.” said Mr. Vicente. “Rowing, not drifting- it is our school motto, and it is something that we see in many of the awards recipients.”

Seniors will be able to pick up their caps and gowns along with their awards from Room 211. They will also be able to drop off items that belong to the school, such as textbooks, and will be able to clean out their lockers. This exchange for seniors will take place on Thursday June 4th and Friday June 5th. 

Additional information can be found on the school website in the Senior Section.