Grad Nite 2020 CANCELLED

Mae Canete, Staff Writer

Seniors have faced many disappointments this year due to COVID-19. The coronavirus has taken away many opportunities for graduating classes to truly feel like seniors. One of those senior activities was  Grad Nite. Grad Nite was scheduled to be held at Disney California Adventure on June 6. Although it has not been entirely unexpected, the cancellation of this year’s Grad Nite was a major disappointment for the graduating class of 2020. 

An update was posted on the official Disney Parks Blog as a notice that read, “UPDATE 4/16/20: In light of recommendations by school and government officials to limit gatherings for the remainder of the academic year in response to COVID-19, we are making the difficult decision to cancel Disneyland Resort Grad Nite 2020,” according to Sean Sposato’s article, ”All Disneyland Grad Nite 2020 Parties Canceled Through Mid-June.” 

Disneyland has cancelled all of their Grad Nite 2020 parties dated for 16 different days (nine in May and seven in June.)

The reaction of feelings and emotions that Venice High’s seniors felt towards the cancellation were nothing but negative. 

“I was upset and disappointed at the fact of Grad Nite being cancelled,” said senior Dylan Kim.

I was looking forward to going to Disneyland with all my friends and being able to hang out with them there. I haven’t done anything to celebrate my graduation yet. Grad Nite was a great opportunity to do so.”

Kim said he has been looking forward to this year’s Grad Nite since the start of freshman year. He is part of Venice High’s baseball team and was not able to finish his final season due to the shutdown of all spring sports. 

The cancellation of 2020 Grad Nite did not come as a surprise to some students. They knew that safety precautions would have to be made in order to stay safe during these uncertain times.

“When school was already on lockdown, I figured that we most likely wouldn’t have a Grad Nite happening for seniors this year,” said senior Sophie Sire. “I was still super bummed when I officially found out.  Obviously I knew it was for safety reasons, but this was one of the senior events that I was really looking forward to. I’m sad that seniors won’t get that final celebration night that we had been working so hard for, but again, I understand considering the circumstances.”

Senior night was supposed to be a special moment for seniors to celebrate their graduation with their friends and fellow students. Now, seniors will hopefully find other ways that follow social distancing and safety protocols  to celebrate graduating.

Disney Youth Programs provides an official statement explaining this year’s Grad Nite cancellation.