Venice Hosts Mock Elections Ahead Of Midterms

Celine Essaied, Reporter

As election day is nearing on November 8, social studies teacher Leah DiVencenzo worked directly with her students to set up mock elections.

On October 10, students went to the mock polls to get hands-on experience with voting in the real world.

The students in social studies and government classes were taken to the cafeteria. Upon arrival, they were then given a ballot and “voted” on seven propositions and their options for governor.

DiVencenzo said that the California Teachers Association reached out to her about mock elections being set up in high schools all throughout California for students, so she “gladly took the opportunity up.”

One reason she decided to set up the mock elections was because “most students and even adults don’t believe that it is important to vote” and that after having conversations with multiple teachers and friends, she found that most of them were afraid to vote for the first time.

The experience encouraged students who are nearing the age of eighteen, the legal age to vote, to pre-register for the upcoming midterm elections.

She said that her first time voting she was terrified, so this opportunity gave her the chance to “dispel some of the students’ fear of voting for the first time” and to “hopefully encourage more students to realize the importance of voting.”

Senior Nayeli Rodas Hernandez said that the event not only benefited “individuals but democracy as a whole.”

The event gave students who might have been hesitant, or uninterested in voting, motives to vote and why they should care, she also added.

As an advocate for voting, Rodas Hernandez said that she wanted to make sure that her peers were aware that “young voters were not just waiting to inherit the future, but rather building the future themselves.”

The ballots consisted of the current propositions, including :

Proposition 1—Abortion
Provides state constitutional right to reproductive freedom, including the right to an abortion.

Proposition 26—Legalize Sports Betting on American Indian Lands Initiative
Authorizes new types of gambling, legalizing American Indian gaming casinos and licensed racetracks in California.

Proposition 27—Legalize Sports Betting and Revenue for Homelessness Prevention Fund Initiative
Legalize online and mobile sports wagering for people over the age of 21.

Proposition 28—Art and Music K-12 Education Funding Initiative
Funding for K-12 art and music education in schools is required.

Proposition 29—Dialysis Clinic Requirements Initiative

Enacts staffing requirements, reporting requirements, ownership disclosure, and closing requirements for chronic
dialysis clinics.

Proposition 30—Taxes and Transportation
Election turnout for the students of California can be seen online at the Student Mock Election Website.

Increases tax on personal income who make more than $2 million by 1.75% and uses those revenues to fund zero-emission vehicle projects and wildfire wildfire prevention programs.

Proposition 31—Flavored Tobacco Products Ban Referendum
Upholds the current ban set in place on sales of flavored tobacco.

In addition, students voted on candidates for governor, which included current Governor of California Gavin Newson (Democrat) and Senator Briane Dahle (Republican).

Over 35,000 students in California casted votes, and these votes were all counted and submitted to the California Secretary of State.