Review Of Mortal Kombat 1 And What To Expect

Mortal Kombat 1 is a game, and I think it’s an exciting experience. Here is my official review of the game and what you should expect from Mortal Kombat 1. 

Story 

The Mortal Kombat 1 story has four different acts where you can play a lot of characters on the roster. The game mainly takes place in two different realms, Earthrealm and Outworld, with the final act taking place on Argus’ Pyramid in Spacetime.  Earthrealm is supposed to be our world, such as Earth and the surrounding solar systems around it and Outworld is a world with beautiful landscapes but also destroyed urban areas with desert.

The game picks up where the last game ended (sort of) in Fire God Liu Kang’s new era in which he rebuilt the new timeline in his image with no villains at all and with the old villains having pointless lives. The realms are at peace but the Mortal Kombat tournament still lives on between Earthrealm and Outworld. However, unlike in previous timelines where the tournament risks invasion and destruction of your realm with now the new tournament brings honor and glory to you and your realm. 

The first act of the story starts off warmhearted and gentle with the other acts getting more complex as you progress. Many classic characters show up later in the story such as Scorpion, Reptile, and Smoke. As the story progresses, you start to slowly realize that this perfect era Liu Kang has built has some cracks in it.  

I personally think the story is amazing, I loved the characters and settings within the game. I also enjoyed how they brought back old villains with different roles within the story; Shao Kahn, for example, moves from his role as Emperor of Outworld to the Top General of the Outworld military. The game brought back old nostalgia from the original trilogy with some slight changes.  

Gameplay 

The gameplay of Mortal Kombat 1 is very different from previous games such as Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 11. Mortal Kombat 1 is much slower and has a shorter window when it comes to achieving regular combos and Kameo combos, Mortal Kombat 1 also has an issue with the Kameo system as well, sometimes fatalities won’t activate and the fatality window is really short compared to MK11.  

Although on the plus side, Mortal Kombat 1 still feels like a smooth game; the controls feel great and it’s fun to actually do combos when you do them. The graphics are also very smooth. The game functions really well and doesn’t feel glitchy to play. The characters are all very different to play and cater to a certain playstyle you have.  

As much as I feel about Kameo timing within Mortal Kombat 1, I really enjoyed the Kameo Fighter system as it brought a different approach to combat in the Mortal Kombat franchise. The Kameo combat system was also inspired by other fighting games but made it somehow different. It felt similar to the Mortal Kombat 11 tag team system, which isn’t bad; it actually made the system more interesting. 

Overall, Mortal Kombat 1 is an exciting game. I rate the game 9.5/10

View Comments (1)