Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

Grease Night 2023

Roxane Gama
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Venice High will host their annual Grease Night tomorrow in honor of the classic movie filmed on campus. 

It will highlight organizations associated with Venice, and attendees can participate in different fun activities. People will enter the nostalgic atmosphere of Grease’s 1950s setting, dressed in their best old-school attire or as their favorite Grease characters.

Grease was filmed at Venice High School in 1978, and starred John Travolta, and Olivia Newton John. The movie was a huge success, becoming the highest-grossing musical film at the time. Ever since then, Venice has taken the Grease culture as their own.

All profits made from this event will benefit the school and students of Venice High.

The Venice High Alumni Association has hosted Grease Night since 2011. 

“Originally, the event was used to kick off Venice’s Centennial Party, but then it got bigger and bigger,” said Elda Gasca, the president of the Venice High Alumni Association. ”So we moved it to be during the school year, and have been doing it ever since.”

Auto shop teacher Kevin Brockway went to Venice High during the summer of 1977. He was on campus for summer football practices and saw Grease being filmed.

(He even remembers seeing many takes many times when the cast did the take where they knocked the girl off the bench during the “Summer Lovin’” scene on the bleachers).

“I don’t think the community knew that they were filming here,” he said. “Just the people on campus knew they were filming.”

Brockway looks forward to revisiting the excitement of watching the film for the first time.  

“It is basically the same experience you’ll have on Saturday night,” he said. “It was exciting, because it’s at your school and you’re proud of your school.”