‘Stop Making Sense’ Re-Releases In Theaters

Review of the cult classic film ‘Stop Making Sense’, originally released in 1984
   David Byrne, Frontman of The Talking Heads (1983)

It has been 40 years since Stop Making Sense made its debut on the big screen. This film is a cult classic, and is without a doubt one of the best concert films ever made. 

Directed by Jonathan Demme and co-directed by David Byrne, the film captures the band’s unique stage presence and overall performance in a cinematic way. 

Stop Making Sense has had a lasting impact on pop culture. The Talking Heads’ iconic performance was recorded over three consecutive nights at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood in December 1983 when the band was touring in support of their new album, Speaking in Tongues. Restored as an A24 film, this defied odds allowing audience members to enjoy a more restored look into this film. 

David Byrne, the star of the show, appears on stage with nothing but an acoustic guitar and boom box along with his infamous gray suit. As the film progresses, all remaining eight members gather on stage one by one along with their equipment, individually enhancing the performance in their own ways.

Elaborate dance moves and distinctive footwork filled the screen for a solid 90 minutes. The theater was gathered with a niche group of fans from all ages and backgrounds, constant chatter filled the seats of people reminiscing on rewatching the film years later or even seeing for the first time. 

The viewing experience was like no other, just a purely joyful atmosphere of people coming together to celebrate the band’s encapsulating music. People were getting up out of their seats because they couldn’t resist the urge to get up and dance in the theater’s aisles to “Burning Down the House” and “Once In a Lifetime”. An overwhelming feeling of togetherness between the audience spread throughout the groups mingling about. Groups of all ages, groups of families and people coming solo all seemed to enjoy the movie just as equally. 

If you are a fan of The Talking Heads or music in general, it shouldn’t even be a question if this film is worth the watch, this concert film will alter your overall perception of musical performances. The urge to buy a comically large suit to wear around your house will most definitely cross your mind at least once after immersing yourself into this film. You won’t be able to leave the theater without finding yourself wanting to take a deeper dive into the band’s discography, Or humming along to the lyrics of “Psycho Killer” on your way back to the car. That’s just how captivating this re-release was.

View Comments (1)