Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

New Implementation Of “Every School Safe” Sparks Debate At Venice High

The new LAUSD 2023-2026 Blueprint for Safety has already made its way into Venice High’s instructional plans.

This past June, the LAUSD Board of Education “voted to promote school safety measures” with the introduction of the new Every School Safe initiative, according to EdSource.

Every School Safe, also known as ESS, serves as an umbrella for six different program areas designed to help schools keep their environments safe. 

These include…

• Integrated Safe School Plan (ISSP)
  • Campus and Environmental Safety 
  • Student Health and Wellness
  • Positive Behavior Support
  • Partnerships and Community Building
  • Notification and Communication Systems

In the ESS safety blueprint, the school district stated that “Los Angeles Unified is committed to providing every student, preschool through adult, and all members of our District and school communities with a safe, healthy, welcoming and respectful learning and working environment.”

Since the beginning of this school year, Venice High School has taken many steps to implement the initiative on campus, specifically the ISSP program area. 

Assistant principal Crystal Dukes said through monthly presentations, whether given in individual classrooms or the auditorium, Venice High is working towards educating its students, parents, and staff on important topics.

“Society today puts students in a lot of uncomfortable situations,” said Dukes. “Our goal is to let students know they are not alone, how to recognize the signs, and to inform students on what resources are available.”

So far there have been three presentations consisting of serious topics, including grooming, suicide prevention, and most recently substance abuse.

Rosa Escobar is the psychiatric social worker at Venice High. She views the assemblies as extremely helpful in educating students on important issues. 

“Talking about these issues has been opening up a lot of student’s minds,” Escobar said. “I think students really need to hear this information.”

Since the presentations, Escobar has said that she’s not only seen an increase in students reaching out to her for help, but also staff members. 

“I’ve seen an increase in teachers reaching out about concerns for students they have in their class since the assemblies,” she said. “It’s been very helpful having these conversations.”

Although students seem to recognize the importance of the information, some students are expressing their frustrations with the format of the presentations.

“I think the information was very relevant, but it was very ‘to the book,’” said sophomore Elizabeth Martinez.  “A lot of my classmates weren’t really paying attention.”

Senior Autumn Deschner also agrees with these sentiments, adding that the presentations didn’t have much relatability.

I think they presented a lot of issues with clean, simple steps when actually the issues are very nuanced,” Deschner said. “Presenting the issues as a list to check off boxes in is just going to leave students unprepared”

Additionally, senior Maggie Ford recommends the addition of more statistics-based data rather than simple, ineffective statements.

“Just stating something might not change someone’s mind, but adding more statistics would be valuable in showing the effect drugs have on young kids,” she said.

Around three more presentations are anticipated, including school violence, cybersecurity, and digital grooming.

Escobar is still hopeful these presentations continue to reach and inform students.

“The stigma is slowly going away here at Venice High,” Escobar said.