Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

Movie Studios—Make Some New Scripts

Dillon Raymond

With the SAG-AFTRA strike wrapped up, movies are being produced much faster than compared to the previous months. The movies being released recently, I have found to have mixed emotions about. Some I have found to be very new and interesting. Others, I feel, didn’t need to be made at all.

I don’t know what the obsession is of corporations to just continuously re-making the same movies over and over, and giving movies that didn’t need sequels, sequels. But the fact it is becoming such a big trend is extremely irritating to me. 

Did you know that there’s a new Kung Fu Panda movie coming out? I didn’t, and now that I do, I am exactly zero percent different than I was before. We’ve had three movies so far in that franchise, peaking at the second movie. The fact DreamWorks Animation is spending all this time and effort making a movie that no one asked for instead of making something new and interesting is disheartening. 

DreamWorks isn’t the only studio slaking in the creative department, Illumination studios has come out with a trailer for Despicable Me 4. Why? Who asked for this? Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy Despicable Me, I just feel that after three movies and the spinoff Minions movie (which in full honesty was pretty good) there’s a line we have to draw in the sand.

Since we’re going through the list of studios, let’s take a look at Walt Disney Animation Studios. Remember Frozen? How about Frozen 2? Well guess what, you’re getting a new one. Frozen 3, where we are giving the strong, independent women a love interest, because of course we are. What, you think women can be happy on her own? You idiot! Shut up, watch this movie, and give us money! 

Again, I was a fan of Frozen when it came out in 2013, it was new and interesting. But now, I’m just begging for these big studios to produce something new!

There has been plenty of really good content being released by smaller producers like A24 and Saban Entertainment. Movies like Mutant Mayhem and shows like Hazbin Hotel. Both pieces of content I really enjoy, they feel new, and obviously show a lot of thought and care put into every aspect of production. 

The sequel, threequels and occasional spin offs of already well known movies and shows feel like a soulless attempt to get the same money and support received by the original piece of content. It’s disheartening to see these big corporations obsessed with making money through sticking close to their most popular movies, as opposed to producing something new, creative and interesting.