Spirit Program Kicks Off their New Year

Vivian Lewis, Reporter

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Out of an estimated 100 students, 54 girls and two boys are now part of the spirit program, which consists of the cheerleading and dance teams.

Boys and girls tried out in front of judges for the spirit program on May 5.

“Almost 100 kids wanted an application,” said Spirit program sponsor and head coach Ms. Joana Trocan-Garrett. Over the weekend, students were informed by email whether they had made it to the varsity or junior varsity cheerleading team or varsity or junior varsity dance team.

What’s next for the spirit teams? Girls and boys do learn cheers and dances and wear cute uniforms. But in reality, the spirit program is much more intensive and “competitive” than what people may think. The spirit program is a yearlong program of rigorous training, in comparison with other sports like football and soccer, which only last a season. And their uniforms are expensive. However being part of the sprit team is overall a “great experience” that makes up for the hard work and expenses, said senior and past member of the varsity cheerleading team Kimberly Munoz.

By rigorous training, this refers to the fact that girls and boys of the spirit program must learn about 50 cheers for games and pep-rallies, learn 10 band dances, and learn stunts, even with no previous experience.

“Confidence is key” said Katherine Secaida, senior and past member of the varsity cheer team, in order to overcome the challenges of the spirit program. It is important to also “practice every day even if there is no practice.”

The cheerleaders and dancers attend practice after school for at least three hours, from Monday through Wednesday every week. They also train for one month during the summer.