Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

Boys’ Tennis, 4-3, Ready To Play Hamilton Today

In today’s home match against Hamilton, boys’ tennis coach Andrew Horen has high hopes. 

The Gondoliers are currently 4-3 this season. 

“Hopefully we can beat them and have a good seed going into the playoffs. So we get to play some good home court matches early in the playoffs,” Horen said. 

Senior Ryan Niimi, a captain, said how this game can be a game-changer for the team.

“I think Hamilton is a big one for us. I think we can win and then hopefully get a good seat in D1 and then we’ll be set from there,” he said.
During their last encounter with the Yankees, the Gondoliers lost in a 4-3 close match, but did not let the loss hold them back.
“We would have liked to win that last Hamilton game but other than that’s it. The season has been pretty smooth. I think hopes are high for the playoffs and that’s mainly what we’re focused on. We’re all improving and getting better.” Niimi said.

The Gondoliers’ last game was against the LACES Unicorns on March 22nd, winning 4-3, with Niimi believing that the game helped “show their teams’ resilience.” Junior Evan Doi came in clutch with a tiebreaker helping the team win. 

“It was a really dramatic game,” Horen said.
With the Gondoliers having to face Hamilton today, LACES this Wednesday and Palisades on Friday, respectively, it will prepare the team for playoffs.
“Anything can happen in the playoffs,” said Horen. 

Horen gives credit to some of the key players in the team.

“We’re lucky we have a lot of talented players. I’ve been really impressed with our number three singles player Zach Lev. He’s pulled out a lot of clutch wins; you know where he will just stay out on the court forever and grind it out.“