Review: New Lana Del Rey Album Opens Fans To New Perspectives Of Her Artistry

Bryten Jones, Reporter

The new Lana Del Rey album, Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, is a deeply introspective work where she takes stock of the social and emotional forces that shaped her ideas about family, marriage, art, motherhood, sex, celebrity, and death.

People are quick to say that it’s boring because of its slowness, but I believe that it is just one of those albums that you need to really be patient and take in what Lana is saying. You have to think about how the music is arranged and how that resonates with what she is saying. Every time you listen it reveals more meaning to the music. The album is driven by emotion and examines her personal history in-depth, pondering the comforts and obligations of being a daughter and sister. It explores the singer’s troubled relationship with her mother, and the tragic  deaths of an uncle and a high school crush. 

One of the album’s standout tracks is “A&W,” which tackles Del Rey’s complicated take on gender identity with startling candor. “If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn’t ask for it?” she questions. Del Rey’s willingness to confront such difficult subject matter head-on is a testament to her artistry and her willingness to be vulnerable in her music. This, like most of her songs, can reach multiple generations.

The album is produced by Jack Antonoff, Drew Erickson, Zach Dawes, and Mike Hermosa, and is largely piano-based with unexpected sounds and textures. Although lyrically configured she still has hints of our moody Lana. 

Overall, Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd is a powerful and deeply personal work from one of the most talented and original artists in the music industry today. Del Rey’s ability to cut-and-paste elements of her own past into her music creates a rich tapestry of sound and storytelling that is sure to captivate listeners for years to come.