Top 5 Deftones Albums To Check Out This Summer

Bryten Jones, Reporter

Deftones stick out to me and other people my age because of the display of love in the lyrics. 

Chino Moreno, the vocalist, delivers the lyrics with a controlled nice voice, but the music is arranged with booming drums in a metal-rock way. When those sounds are paired, they make a unique listening experience. 

Moreno, Stephen Carpenter, and Abe Cunningham are the members of the band Deftones. They started making music in Cunningham’s garage in high school and went up from there. 

Deftones has a large discography, so when looking for something to listen to it’s hard to choose. Here are the top 5 albums you should check out.

1. Gore

This album is very appealing with many well thought out transitions to different songs. Like most of their albums it presents Morenos harsh emotions and venting. The passion in this album is amazing. 

1. Around the Fur

This album has “Mascara” on it which is one of my favorite songs, so that automatically boosted the album up. But besides that, this album doesn’t stick out to me. It has a good beat, and it’s got the recognizable rock-metal feel. It’s not a bad album but in comparison to the other ones it’s just mid. 

1. White Pony

Coming out in the 2000s (a.k.a. the most iconic times of music) it has some of the best songs on it. One of the songs include “Change (In The House Of Flies),” which is Deftones biggest hit. I like this song because it was the first time I ever heard Deftones. My dad played it in the car. It’s cool that Deftones can reach two very different audiences. 

1. Koi No Yokan 

This is the second best album. Why you may ask? It’s an album full of love and passion.The name is in Japanese and when translated is “premonition of love”. The meaning of the album name is that feeling when you first meet someone and you know that you will fall in love. It has a song called “Romantic Dreams” and just by the album you know this song is going to hit close to your heart. This album is the seventh album released by Deftones, it came out in 2012. 

1. Saturday Night Wrist

When looking at the different albums the one that sticks out to me the most is Saturday Night Wrist that came out in 2006. Not only is the album cover cool, but all of the songs on there are 10/10s. 

This album got me through a lot of dark times. It was an outlet for when I was having those moments. Although loved by many fans, Moreno states that this is his least favorite. He says that this album foreshadows some of the darkest times as a band. During the publishing of this album Monre was fighting drug addiction.