Boys’ Waterpolo Hopes To Build Up Some Team Spirit After A Loss Against LACES

An edit to the story has been made at 2:25 p.m. due to the cancellation of the University High v.s. Venice waterpolo game scheduled for today, Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.

The boys’ water polo team, 1-4, visits San Pedro tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. According to junior Erik Hwang, the goal for the upcoming game against the Pirates is for the team to have more chemistry. 

“Most definitely we need to play properly in the sense of actually having communication between each player, setting up properly, and having a more definitive outlook on what we’re supposed to have an expectations,” he said. “For the most part we already improved that, but I hope to get it down perfectly.” 

The boys varsity water polo team is off to a rough start with a 15-10 loss last Thursday against the LACES Unicorns. However, the team is still keeping their spirits up.

“Our mentality is regardless if we lose or win, we go into the game to learn from our experiences in the game, and as well develop new skills and develop a new idea of how to play against these teams,” Hwang said.

Even with the loss, Coach Josh is proud of the team’s performance. 

“Although we don’t win most of our games, our coach is most definitely proud of us and our performance,” Hwang said. “Even if we’re short-handed without a pool or a proper team we’re still able to show up and play the game regardless.”

According to Hwang, this was the team’s best performance since the season started.

“As part of our best performance since we started playing, especially since my freshman year we actually have a team that’s more coherent in our abilities, and I’m very proud of that as part of our best performance,” he said.

The team’s defense and offense abilities have improved greatly, Hwang said, but the only challenge is the communication with the team and time in the water to build chemistry.

“Definitely our defensive and offensive abilities improved greatly, but one of the most important things for us, like a challenge that shines throughout our game was the fact that we don’t talk enough,” he said. “I feel like that we that we just we don’t have enough time in the water to build actual chemistry between each other so I think that’s where we fell short.”