Boys’ Soccer Secures Playoff Spot With New Coach

This story was supposed to be published on February 16, 2024, the day the February 2024 print issue was released

Under the leadership of new coach Nick Webster, boys’ soccer finished the regular season with a record of 11–4–1 en route to the postseason.

Webster said that the team has played very well in his first season as coach.

The Gondoliers performed “magnificently,” he said, and secured a second-place finish in the league. It’s been one of the best finishes for the team in recent years.

“For the first season, It’s been absolutely fantastic,” he said.

Despite the success, he emphasized that true success is defined by winning championships.

The team were to have faced the Belmont Sentinels, 9–4–2, Wednesday for their first playoff game in the CIF LA City Section Division 2 Championships.

If the team wins, they will advance to the quarterfinals. Last year, the Gondoliers reached
the quarterfinals and lost against Wilson 2–1.

Throughout the season, the team has developed an “excellent” style of play, Webster said. Webster highlights their pressing strategies, relentless attacking, and improved goal-scoring consistency.

“We’ve learned how to play with each other, using the width of the field effectively. Our fullbacks push up nicely, and our strikers have learned to hit the back of the net consistently,” he said.

With an upcoming playoff game, Webster acknowledges the team’s strengths and the challenges they will be facing ahead.

“From one to eleven, we’re a very solid team and I’m looking for everybody to make the absolute maximum and if we do, I think we’ll be successful on the day because we do have a good team spirit,” he said.

Despite Webster considering the match-up to be “unfair” due to Belmont’s success in their league, he believes the team is still well-prepared.

“If we win this game, we’re probably going to have a matchup against University who we’ve already faced in the season.”

Webster highlighted the performance of sophomore Pablo Lopez, a goalkeeper who has been a clutch shot-stopper.

“If he has a big game then I think we can keep it a clean sheet,” he said. “We’ve got a chance.”

As the team prepares for the playoffs, Webster remains positive and determined, emphasizing how “this is going to be the toughest game.”

“But if we can get through it, then we’re going to be successful,” he said.