Dia de los Muertos Celebrated at Venice

Bryce Rodriguez, Editor-in-Chief

MEChA, the Boys and Girls Club and the Spanish department are planning a week long Dia de los Muertos Festival that will last from Monday, Oct. 30 to Friday, Nov. 3.

On Thursday, Nov. 2, after school there was be an open mic in the student cafeteria from 3:15 to 5:15 p.m. The event included raffles, art, live music and mask painting. At lunch there was Pan de Muerto being sold by the altar.

MEChA had a celebration on Friday, Nov. 3, by the circle adjacent to the Cunningham Building. This celebration will include Aztec dancers and face painting.

“I created an altar with pictures of my deceased family members that I keep in my heart, said senior Jazmyn Cervantes, “On the altar, I have a variety of fruit, Mexican candy, and a glass of water to entice those who are remembered.”

On Monday, Oct. 30, they put together an assembly including guest speakers, students and teachers. The assembly was about Dia de los Muertos and what it means in the Latino culture. The guest speakers recited poetry, told stories, sang songs and honored those who have passed.

On Tuesday, Oct. 31, they had students to decorate sugar skulls for the altar. The altar will include pictures of people who have passed, fruit, candy and flowers, such as marigolds.

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, MEChA will gather for a group meditation to honor those who have passed, those that make us happy, and those who irritate us.

This year, Dia de los Muertos started on Tuesday, Oct. 31 and ends today, November 2. It is a celebration and remembrance of friends and family members who have died.

“Dia de los Muertos is one the most meaningful time of the year, when we celebrate the memory of our lost but forever loved ones,” said Cervantes.