The Mandela Effect

Leslie Grijalva, Reporter

Everyone is talking about the Mandela effect, but do you actually know what it is?
The Mandela effect is a collective misremembering of a fact or event. Some examples are far fetched but some get you thinking.

The Mandela Effect is named after a former president of South Africa named Nelson Mandela who people believed died in prison in the 80s. He was imprisoned for 27 years because of his views against the country’s discrimination against blacks. He was released, became president and didn’t actually passed away until 2013. The

Mandela effect is basically false memory.
The one that most teenagers know is based off the childhood tv show and book series “The Berenstain Bears.” Doesn’t sound right to you? Maybe it’s because you called it “Berenstein Bears,” which is wrong.

“Berenstein,” said student Vanessa De Leon, when asked which one she remembers.
Another student, Vivien Berry, said when she found out she was wrong, she was, “shook and it was weird.” Several other students also responded with “Berenstein.”

What about Pikachu? Does his tail have black on the end or not? Did you say that he does? Wrong again. Pikachu doesn’t have black on the end of his tail but on his ears.

“He doesn’t. I thought he did and I was mind blown so hard,” said student Alvaro Luna, and so did others. Their initial reaction was that Pikachu does have black at the end of his tail, but once told he didn’t, students couldn’t believe it.

Another that is highly controversial is a scene in “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi,” where Darth Vader confronts Luke. It’s one of the most memorable scenes, but people have it wrong.

“Luke, I am your father.” is what people remember. But it’s: “No, I am your father.”

Berry said, “It’s “Luke I am your father.” and when told she was wrong she said, “Again I was shook.”

There are many more Mandela effects, but the question is, why do we remember it the wrong way? Does our mind interpret it the wrong way? Did our reality collide with another and change little things? It’s up to you to decide.