Christmas At Graceland

Christmas At Graceland

Christmas came early this year. For NBC’s first ever Christmas at Graceland special. Featured artists consist of Post Malone, Kasey Musgraves, Alanis Morissette, John Legend and the iconic Lana Del Rey.

Granddaughter of The King, Riley Keough welcomes various talents into Elvis Presley’s legendary Memphis estate for a deeper glimpse into Elvis’s own holiday hits along with other featured songs performed throughout different areas of the house. The special opens with country singer Lainey Wilson singing her rendition of “Santa Claus Is Back In Town.” She is seen wearing a red Elvis-inspired jumpsuit, singing in the front yard along projections of Elvis singing next to her are seen upon the front of the house.

The rawness of this Christmas special provides  a sort of intimate feel, uncut interactions between the artists and crew allow for the special to not feel so staged along with audience members being able to feel more included. 

Next up was singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey’s ode to Elvis’s cover of “Unchained Melody” originally written by The Righteous Brothers. She is seen in the jungle room of the house alongside 3 backup singers. 

Post Malone then came in hot! with a unique spin on the Christmas special. Post channels The King with his exaggerated wardrobe, and distinctive vocals. The “Devil In Disguise” cover performance lasted roughly 3 minutes and was staged above the iconic pool at Graceland. He wore a Dolce & Gabbana leopard print suit to play as a tribute to Elvis. Colorful lights shining in the background gave off a joyous and warm, winter feeling, a perfect contribution to rock ‘n’ roll and Christmas. 

Almost serving as an intermission, Riley Keough and Lana are seen stirring up conversation in the Graceland kitchen, talking about holiday family traditions and reminiscing about childhood memories. It allowed people at home to feel as if they were right there with them.

Lastly, American country singer Kacey Musgraves who sang on the Baz Luhrmann “Elvis” biopic soundtrack, honors Elvis with her slowed rendition of “Can’t Help Falling in Love.” She is seen in a glistening white gown along with a bouffant hairstyle serving as a nod to Priscilla. Her performance is carried out on the lavish front steps of the estate next to a grand piano. While family Christmas photos of the Presleys are projected behind her. She was the perfect choice for the send-off of the special, as she is seen riding off in a pink Cadillac through the gates of the estate as Christmas at Graceland comes to a close.