Abridged History Of Valentine’s Day And Traditions

We all know and love Valentine’s Day, or at least I do. But what if I told you there is more to Valentine’s Day than being with your partner or being alone in your house all day? 

What is Valentine’s Day?

Valentine’s Day is a tradition started in the 8th century as a day of celebrating the life of the Catholic martyr, Saint Valentine who died February 14, 269 AD in Rome, Italy. Saint Valentine was well known throughout the Christian world for preventing the persecution of Christians within The Roman Empire. People would recognize him from the Cupid Ring he would supposedly wear and he would also give cards to people for their devotion and love to Christ. 

Modern Traditions

The holiday that we know now started in the 14th century when Kings would declare their love in their royal court in the early spring. Eventually, later in history, people started giving cards out to people they love. I love the idea of giving out stuff to your significant other, so I will be doing that when the day comes.   

Many places throughout the world have different traditions every year for Valentine’s Day. However, at Venice High, we give out Valentine’s Day grams and Saxygrams. With Saxygrams, a student can anonymously submit a request for the Band to go to a classroom and play a song for another student or a teacher. These gifts are kind of like the ones when you were giving in elementary school to your classmates, just a lot more elaborate.