Go On—Shake It Up! With Venice’s Dance Team

Venice’s Dance Team is the backbone of school spirit. Their enthusiastic energy—and their navy uniforms adorned with sequins on the sleeve—do not go unnoticed at games, school activities, or competitions.

Senior Selina Cruz, a captain, says the team brings a positive atmosphere to the school.

“The Dance Team always has energy and you can just feel it in the room,” she said. “The students are always getting excited when we get up and cheer at basketball games and even our halftime performances.”

The team is the pinacle of pep on and off school grounds. Last Saturday, the Dance Team competed at the SHARP State Nationals at Knott’s Berry Farm and won 1st place. They performed a 90’s inspired hip-hop choreography which included a mixture of songs from that genre.

Coming off last year’s first-place finish at JAMZ, Venice’s Dance Team is currently in the midst of their competition season which usually starts towards the end of the fall semester and continues to the end of the spring semester.

They began preparing their choreography before the season started so that they could showcase it in as many competitions as possible. This allows them ample time to practice and refine their performance before competitions.

When they are not competing, you can find them cheering at school events. They have been practicing their “Stomp and Shake” cheers in preparation for the games and can be seen performing in the stands rustling their pom poms.

Coach Leah Mendizibal is responsible for managing the team and their appearances. Mendizibal assists them in preparing for events, both on and off the school premises. She choreographs new routines to showcase at events, including half-time shows during football and basketball games, pep rallies, and assemblies.

Sophomore Luz Garcia is excited to start her second year competing for the team following last year’s JAMZ win.

“This year, we hope to have another successful competition season,” said Garcia.

In Garcia’s freshman year, she heard Venice High had a dance team and was interested in joining. She grew up seeing her dad dancing to Latin music like salsa and cumbia.

“I realized that I loved to dance when I would go on stage and give my everything when performing,” she said. “Being on stage and dancing in front of people is a feeling like no other. It is really what grew my love for dance and it continues to be one of my favorite things.”